When we think about a kitchen dresser unit, the image that comes to mind is one of those old, heavy wooden pieces. But the fact is, there are many different types of dresser units that can be used in a kitchen. The name “dresser” probably comes from the idea that this type of cabinet is useful for storing and organising clothing instead of food or dishes. That being said, we will look into the history of this piece of furniture, its different types and what you need to know before buying one.
A history of the Kitchen Dresser Unit
The first dresser units were probably made in the 18th and 19th centuries. As the name suggests, they were used to store clothes. However, the dresser unit was also used in kitchens and pantries in the early days. Since then, the dresser unit has evolved and developed several different types. Today, you can use a dresser unit to add storage space in a kitchen, eat-in, or even a dining room. Although this piece of furniture has traditionally been used in the kitchen, today, you can find dresser units made for other room types as well.
Types of Kitchen Dresser Units
- Standard (or wall-mounted) units. These units are mounted on the wall above the worktop and usually have 1-3 drawers and a door. They are a popular choice for smaller kitchens.
- Island units. These dresser units are usually built-in and have a lot of storage space. They are often used in large kitchens where an island is present.
- Corner units. These units are usually used as end-of-island solutions and are often placed in corners. Again, they can be either built-in or standard.
- Corner island units. This type of kitchen dresser unit can be used in both small and big kitchens. It combines a corner unit and an island unit, often with a few extra drawers.
- Bench units. These units are the perfect addition to an eat-in kitchen. They can be used as a long bench or a short table and are often placed against a wall. If you choose a bench unit, it is recommended to place it near a power source since it will be used as a table.
- Pedestal units. These are often used as a dining room storage solution. You can place them near a table or other furniture piece.
What to look for when making a kitchen dresser unit
The type of kitchen dresser unit that you choose will be a matter of personal taste. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before making a decision.
- How many people are there in your household? If you have a large family and regularly have guests over, you will need a larger unit with plenty of space.
- What style do you want? You can go for a rustic, vintage or contemporary look.
- What is your budget? You can find kitchen dresser units with prices ranging from hundreds to thousands of euros. The imagination is your limit here, really. Here at Symphony, we have a wide choice of accessories, mechanisms, elements, and systems to suit any demand or wish.
- What kind of space do you have in your kitchen? Depending on this, you can choose one of the previously mentioned types of units.
- What are your kitchen’s range and door types? If you have chosen a specific theme for your kitchen, make sure your dresser unit matches it.
The benefits of having a dresser unit in your kitchen
The main advantage of having a kitchen dresser unit is that it adds extra storage space to your kitchen. This is very useful if you have a small kitchen and want to make the most of your storage space. When you have a dresser unit, you will no longer have to store items on the countertop or the floor. Having a dresser unit also means that your kitchen will look tidier and more organised. Another advantage of having a dresser unit is that it can add visual interest and attractiveness to your kitchen. You can choose a colour that matches the colour scheme of your kitchen and make your kitchen more exciting and enjoyable. Having a kitchen dresser unit is also useful if you have kids or pets in the house. If you have small children in the house, you can keep dangerous items away from them by storing them in the dresser unit.
The kitchen dresser unit is a piece of furniture that has been used for many years. It is a great storage solution and a dress-up piece of furniture for small kitchens, eat-in kitchens and even dining rooms. The type of kitchen dresser unit that you choose will be a matter of personal taste. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before making a decision. The main advantage of having a kitchen dresser unit is that it adds extra storage space to your kitchen while adding a premium look to your room. Having a dresser unit also means that your kitchen will look tidier and more organised and is useful if you have kids or pets.
Join our mailing list to get inspired by industry trends, special offers and news, & to get a free Quooker Tap worth €1500 when you buy your new kitchen from us